Hull United AFC – Hull's only community owned football club

Women's First Team V Chester Le Street Ladies

Today we faced Chester Le Street, a contest that was unknown territory for Hull United, with postponements before Christmas meaning that this was the first time we faced the North East outfit. Hull United started the game promisingly, with lots of good movement and stringing together good passages of play.

Unfortunately, United found themselves a goal down with a few minutes played a tidy finish from the opposition’s left winger. Being a goal down is a position United have found themselves in numerous times this season, so a big response was needed from the Whites. However, their heads did not drop. United remained a tight unit and with a substitution and a change in formation to contain the over load Chester Le Street were applying on the left hand side. The rest of the half was fairly evenly matched, with United defending very well and keeping a good shape. Hull had a few good chances, but unfortunately these were not capitalised on.

In we went at the break at 1-0 down, but feeling very optimistic that this was a deficit that we could overturn, providing we came out strong in the second half.

Half time saw Damms come back on for Newlove, who had worked hard down the right hand side in the first half. Unfortunately, Hull were not switched on at all for the first fifteen minutes of the second half. Keeper Cone made some outstanding saves and again, the back four were tested. Within a few minutes of the whistle blowing to get the second half underway, Le Street doubled their lead. A few minutes later, a brilliant strike from 30 yards out left Cone with no chance. 3-0. This lapse in concentration from Hull left them in a position where they now knew they would struggle to get anything from the game. However, they did not stop trying. Midfielders Jess Robinson and Lily Tankard worked tirelessly in the middle to break up the play and had a few shots between them that challenged the opposition keeper. Lois Damms was also causing problems on the wing, driving at their defenders and drawing in fouls. She came very close on a free kick just outside the 18 yard box, but sadly it rippled wide. A few more changes saw Josie Groves come on leading the line and Rosie O’Rourke slot in at right back. Tate then caused problems by dropping deeper and playing nice passes into good and dangerous areas. Chester Le Street added to their goal tally again, making the score 4-0. The last 20 minutes of play we managed to start playing good football again like we had done so in the first 45. Keeper Cone picked up an injury but like a trooper, carried on even though she was clearly struggling and made some great saves to keep the score line from being added to further.

Despite a positive spell in the last third of the game and having a good first half, that initial spell in the the second half where we conceded two goals within a short period left Hull with a mountain to climb to get anything from the game. Hull matched Le Street for periods of the game, but it just wasn’t meant to be today. We wish Chester Le Street the best of luck for the rest of their season. We face Wallsend next week in another home fixture where we hope to take three points and finish the season positively.

Manager Lewis Poucher Added “A game that I left deflated, we more then matched them first half and we was unlucky to be one nil down and half time. But moments in lack of concentration have really cost us. We came out second half and for fifteen minutes didn’t turn up and they battered us with three quick goals. To get to the level of Chester le street we will need to work harder at keeping going for all minutes in the game. Switching off has cost us today which was a real shame. Credit to Chester Le street who play football the right way which made todays game very entertaining for the spectators but sadly not for me. We go again on Thursday at training to prepare for Sunday when we welcome Wallsend down. Be good to get a good crowd behind the girls again”

Player of the Match was Goalkeeper Sharla Cone, who made some fantastic saves and played on with an injury. Well done Sharla.

Player Of The Match Sharla Cone